Numerical Analysis 1 (G5084)
15 credits, Level 4
In this module, you will cover topics such as:
Part I: Introduction to Computing with MATLAB
- basic arithmetic and vectors
- m-file functions
- if and else
- while statements.
Part II: Introduction to Numerical Analysis
- operating with floating point numbers, round-off error, cancellation error
- polynomial interpolation, basic idea of interpolation, order of approximation, Lagrangian interpolation, Runge's example, piecewise linear interpolation
- numerical differentiation, finite difference quotients, order of approximation
- numerical integration, derive standard numerical integration scheme's and analyse, using polynomial interpolation (midpoint formula, trapezoidal rule, Simpson's formula)
- nonlinear equations, bisection method, fixed point iteration method, Newton's method/secant method.
38%: Practical (Practical, Workshop)
20%: Coursework (Problem Set, Test)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: