Numerical Analysis 1 (G5084)
15 credits, Level 4
In this module, you will cover topics such as:
Part I: Introduction to Computing with MATLAB
- basic arithmetic and vectors
- m-file functions
- if and else
- while statements.
Part II: Introduction to Numerical Analysis
- operating with floating point numbers, round-off error, cancellation error
- polynomial interpolation, basic idea of interpolation, order of approximation, Lagrangian interpolation, Runge's example, piecewise linear interpolation
- numerical differentiation, finite difference quotients, order of approximation
- numerical integration, derive standard numerical integration scheme's and analyse, using polynomial interpolation (midpoint formula, trapezoidal rule, Simpson's formula)
- nonlinear equations, bisection method, fixed point iteration method, Newton's method/secant method.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 42 hours of contact time and about 108 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: