Continuum Mechanics (G1158)
15 credits, Level 6
- kinematics (Eulerian and Lagrangian descriptions, velocity, acceleration, rate of change of physical quantities, material derivatives, streamlines)
- deformation (stress and strain tensors, Hooke's law, equilibrium equations)
- conservation laws for mass, momentum and energy
- phase/group velocities of travelling wave solutions
- models of fluid and solid mechanics.
20%: Coursework (Problem Set)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: