Medical Statistics (G1120)
15 credits, Level 6
- logistic regression, fitting and interpretation
- survival times (Kaplan-Meier estimate, log-rank test, Cox proportional hazard model)
- designing medical research
- clinical trials (phases I-IV, randomised double-blind controlled trial, ethical issues, sample size, early stopping)
- observational studies (prospective/retrospective, longitudinal/cross-sectional)
- analysis of categorical data (relative risk, odds ratio, McNemar's test, meta-analysis (Mantel-Haenszel method))
- diagnostic tests (sensitivity and specificity; receiver operating characteristic)
- standardised mortality rates.
20%: Coursework (Report, Test)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: