Brain and Behaviour (C8518)
15 credits, Level 5
This module provides an introduction to brain mechanisms and behaviour. Topics covered will normally include: ionic mechanisms underlying the nerve action potential; synapses and neurotransmission; neuropharmacology of commonly used anti-depressant and anxiolytic drugs; functional neuroanatomy of the human brain; brain development and neurogenetics; neural mechanisms in motor behaviour, initiation of voluntary actions; neural mechanisms underlying plasticity and learning; individual differences.
30%: Coursework (Problem Set, Software Exercise)
70%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Psychology (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Psychology BSc
- Psychology with Business and Management BSc
- Psychology with Clinical Approaches BSc
- Psychology with Cognitive Science BSc
- Psychology with Criminology BSc
- Psychology with Economics BSc
- Psychology with Education BSc
- Psychology with Neuroscience BSc