Professional Practice 1 (X1027)
15 credits, Level 6
Autumn and spring teaching
In this module, you develop and apply your knowledge and understanding in a phase/subject specialism in a school and classroom context.
The module includes:
- an induction week, providing an introduction to school policies and procedures
- opportunities to observe experienced practitioners in your specialist subject/phase
- dedicated mentor time, focusing on subject knowledge and pedagogy
- regular professional studies seminars
- a phased introduction to teaching
- formal observation by the mentor or designated other teacher in the department, with feedback
- observation by the school professional tutor, with feedback (where required)
- observations by the University curriculum tutor, with feedback
- access to school resources, including ICT
- opportunities to take part in wider school life, e.g. trips, clubs, tutor groups, parents’ evenings
- time to reflect critically on this experience, plan lessons and prepare resources.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 54 hours of contact time and about 96 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We regularly review our modules to incorporate student feedback, staff expertise, as well as the latest research and teaching methodology. We’re planning to run these modules in the academic year 2023/24. However, there may be changes to these modules in response to COVID-19, staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.