Professional Practice 1 (EYTS) (16100X)
30 credits, Level 6
Autumn and spring teaching
In this module, you develop and apply your knowledge and understanding in a phase/subject specialism, in a setting and classroom context.
This is a current Statutory Requirement for Early Years Teacher Status (Department for Education, 2014).
You will be working towards the Standards for Early Years Teacher Status in your Professional Practice.
The module may include:
- an induction week programme, providing an introduction to setting policies and procedures
- opportunities to observe experienced practitioners in your specialist subject/phase
- mentor time over the placement, focusing on subject knowledge and pedagogy
- a phased introduction to teaching
- observations over the placement by an approved mentor with feedback
- observation by the University Curriculum Tutor, with feedback
- access to school/setting resources, including ICT
- opportunities to take part in wider setting life, such as trips and parents evenings
- time to reflect critically on this experience, plan lessons and prepare resources.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 300 hours of work. This breaks down into about 144 hours of contact time and about 156 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We regularly review our modules to incorporate student feedback, staff expertise, as well as the latest research and teaching methodology. We’re planning to run these modules in the academic year 2022/23. However, there may be changes to these modules in response to COVID-19, staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.