Quantum Field Theory 1 (877F3)
15 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
This module is an introduction into quantum field theory, covering:
- Action principle and Lagrangean formulation of mechanics
- Lagrangean formulation of field theory and relativistic invariance
- Symmetry, invariance and Noether's theorem
- Canonical quantization of the scalar field
- Canonical quantization of the electromagnetic field
- Canonical quantization of the Dirac spinor field
- Interactions, the S matrix, and perturbative expansions
- Feynman rules and radiative corrections.
40%: Practical (Workshop)
60%: Coursework (Problem set)
40%: Examination (Computer-based examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 55 hours of contact time and about 95 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, we are constantly looking to improve and enhance our courses. There may be changes to modules in response to student demand or feedback, changes to staff expertise or updates to our curriculum. We may also need to make changes in response to COVID-19. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.