Writing for the Screen (872P4)
30 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
The module will cover topics including:
- The essentials of storytelling: what do all stories have in common?
- What is a Screenplay?: is it a Blueprint? Literature? How is it formatted?
- The restorative act structure
- Alternatives to the restorative act structure
- Creating convincing characters
- What is motivation?: how does it manifest?
- Dialog and the art of subtext
- Writing visually: writing stage direction for spec scripts
- Script reports: how to analyse a script
- Script readings and feedback
100%: Practical (Practical, Workshop)
100%: Coursework (Portfolio, Project)
Contact hours and workload
We’re currently reviewing contact hours for modules and will update with further information as soon as it is available.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses: