Visa and immigration advice

We have a team of specialist immigration advisors who can guide you through the visa application process and help you with any problems.

Talk to our immigration advisers

We run a drop-in immigration advice service and you can book an appointment with one of our advisers.

We offer advice on Tier 4 student and short-term study visas (including refusals, rejections and appeals) and general visa and immigration issues such as.

  • working in the UK during and after your studies (including Tier 2 and Tier 5 visas and the Doctorate Extension Scheme)
  • dependant visas
  • immigration issues related to intermission, resits and withdrawing from Sussex
  • Schengen visas and travel abroad
  • lost and stolen passports
  • biometric residence permits (BRPs)
  • police registration
  • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)
  • how to find an immigration solicitor and what to expect. Before you see a solicitor, ask how much they charge for their services. 

As a Tier 4 sponsor, we're legally obliged to notify the Home Office about certain issues (see our statement of service for more information.)

We are also regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

Common visa issues

  • Visa refusals

    If your application is refused, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) send you a refusal notice. This states the reasons for refusal and if you can ask for an administrative review.

    Send this refusal notice to We can advise if the refusal is correct or if there has been an error with your application.

    If we think the refusal is correct, we can talk to you about why you were refused. In some cases, you can submit another application. To do this, you need a new Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number.

    Before we can give you a new CAS number, you must send us further evidence. If the reason for the refusal was proof of funds, send us evidence that you meet the financial requirements of the visa. 

    If your application is refused and we disagree with this, you can request an administrative review. This means that UK VI may look again at your visa application.

  • Visa delays

    If a visa refusal or visa processing delay means you won't arrive at Sussex before the start of term, contact the office who sent you your CAS. They will advise you on any implications of arriving late.

    If you don’t get permission from the University to arrive late, you should not travel to the UK.

    If you can’t arrive by the latest enrolment date, we advise you on your options, including deferring your studies.

Confirmation of Acceptance Studies contacts

If you have a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) query, contact one of the offices below: