Strategy & Marketing PGR Scholarships 2021
Postgraduate Research Scholarship 2021 – University of Sussex Business School, Department of Strategy & Marketing (2021)
What you get
- Full tuition fee waiver for 3.5 years at the UK Home rate. Current fees for both the PhD in Accounting and the PhD in Finance are £4,500 per year.
- A maintenance package worth £17,500 per year comprising:
- A teaching-based element in the form of remuneration for undertaking teaching and related duties for up to 6 hours per week from Term 2 of the first year onwards.
- A stipend to cover living expenses of the value required to bring the total annual income to £17,500.
Type of award
Postgraduate Research (PGR)
Subject of Study
Applications are invited for research proposals dealing with any topic within the disciplines of Marketing and International Business (or mixtures of the two). Information regarding the research currently being undertaken in the Department can be found here on our research webpages, along with further information about our PhD programmes and details of the research interests of our faculty and current research students. For any queries regarding the suitability of a proposed research topic, please contact the PhD Convenor (see below).
To be eligible you must:
- Have or expect to have graduated with a first or 2:1 UK Master’s degree (or international equivalent), in a relevant subject.
- Have the right to work in the UK for the duration of the scholarship.
- Qualify for the UK Home tuition fee rate; or, if applying as an international student, commit to funding the shortfall between the UK and overseas fee rates from personal or other sources in order to meet the full cost of the international tuition fee (currently £18,500 per year).
Number of scholarships available
One in Marketing or International Business.
Deadline1 September 2021 23:59
How to apply
Apply online here.
Select the PhD in Management with a September 2021 start date.
In the Finance section you should enter the name of the scholarship, which is: Postgraduate Research Scholarship in Strategy & Marketing
Be sure to supply all the required documents, including:
- All transcripts from Higher Education degrees;
- A current CV detailing all educational and employment history;
- Letters from two referees, where possible in relation to the specific project proposal being submitted;
- Research Proposal on a modern topic in Marketing and/or International Business.
All applicants invited for interview will also be requested to submit a sample of written academic work prior to interview. As the award entails entering into a contract of employment with the University, no award will be made without an interview and statutory ‘right to work’ checks having first taken place. Interviews will be conducted via Zoom or Teams.
Due to the high volume of applications received, you may only hear from us if your application is successful.
For questions relating to the PhD programme, please contact the PhD Course Convenor Prof Stephan Manning: S.D.Manning@sussex.ac.uk
For practical questions about applications, please contact the Business School Research Student Support Team: email@example.com
For questions relating to the Postgraduate Research Scholarship Scheme as a whole, please contact the Business School Research Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also be interested in
Frequently asked questions
Q1) What will I be assessed on at interview?
A1) The panel are required to make a judgement regarding both your academic ability – in particular, your ability to undertake the course of study set out in your research proposal – and your ability to teach effectively.
Q2) Will I become an employee of the University?
A2) Yes. If successful you will be required to enter into a contract of employment with the University to cover the teaching component of the scheme. The contract is based on the standard University contract for PhD tutors (copies available on request).
Q3) Is the award subject to Tax?
A3) In part. The teaching-related component will be paid via University payroll and be subject to standard salary deductions for Income Tax and National Insurance. However, the stipend component, which comprises the majority of the award, is not taxable.
Q4) Can the award be extended beyond 3.5 years?
A4) No. Funding is fixed for 3.5 years only.
Q5) What happens if I intermit (temporarily cease studying) partway through the award?
A5) During any periods of intermission, the award (including stipendiary payments) will be temporarily suspended along with your teaching and related duties.
All complete applications must be submitted by 1 September 2021 by 23:59 (BST) through the University of Sussex online Postgraduate Application System.
A shortlist of candidates will be invited for interview at the University of Sussex Business School to take place the week commencing Monday 13 September 2021, subject to potential variation in exceptional circumstances or if required by the interview panel.
Every effort will be made to notify successful candidates by 17 September 2021.
1 September 2021 23:59 (GMT)
the deadline has now expired
The award is available to people from these specific countries: