USA Friends Scholarships (2017)
Thanks to the generosity of our North American alumni and the Friends of the University of Sussex, a scholarship of an amount equivalent to $10,000 is available to nationals or permanent residents of the USA who will be studying a one year taught Master's degree course at the University of Sussex.
The scholarships will be awarded on academic merit.
What you get
An amount equivalent to $10,000 maintenance award
Type of award
In order to be considered for the USA Friends Scholarship you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a national or permanent resident of the United States of America
- Have applied for and been offered a place on a full time Postgraduate Taught degree at the University of Sussex (MA, MSc, LLM, Dip Grad)
- Have been assessed as paying overseas fees
- Remain on the programme for which the scholarship is offered.
You will not be eligible for this scholarship if you meet any of the following exclusions:
- have applied for a course at the Institute of Development Studies except the MA Gender and Development and MSc Climate Change, Development and Policy
- have applied to study MSc Social Research Methods
- have applied to study a DPhil (1+3) course
- have applied to study a Foundation Year, Postgraduate Certificate, International Year One Diploma in Business and Management or Pre-Masters
- have applied to study Pre-Masters courses and diplomas taught at partner colleges
- have applied to study the Masters in Business Administration or Masters in Education
- have applied for a course within the Brighton and Sussex Medical School
- have applied for LLM in Corruption, Law and Governance (delivered in Qatar)
Deadline3 April 2017 23:59
How to apply
Scholarship applications must be submitted online here, along with an academic reference which can be uploaded with your application form or submitted separately via email to email@example.com
Confirmation of submission will be sent automatically following your submission. If you do not receive this, please ensure that you check your junk/deletion folder for this notification as it may be sent directly to these folders depending on your email security settings.
Please note that you must also have submitted your course application on the University of Sussex online postgraduate application system.
Applications will be ranked and assessed on the following criteria:
- academic merit (including grades)
- academic reference
- impact the scholarship will have on you
- why you have chosen the University of Sussex and the contribution you will make to the community
Your referee for your application should ideally be a personal tutor or academic mentor at your current or last college or University.
|Academic Merit Reference||Impact of Scholarship||Ambition||Why Sussex University|
|- Top 10% of class
- Highly enthused and involved in subject
- Excellent academic potential
|Includes financial impact||What will you do with the qualification. E.g. Joining prestigious firms, teach, NGOs, Charities, do they plan to 'make a difference' or 'have an impact'.||International reputation
Teaching style/class sizes
What clubs/activities/voluntary work they have done before
What clubs/activities/voluntary work they will do at Sussex
The Student Funding Team
Student Life Centre
University of Sussex
Tel: +44 1273 872994
By 23:59 BST 3rd April 2017: Deadline for all applications to be received
By 3 June 2017: Applicants notified of the outcome of their application by email
Autumn Term: Scholars receive award payment.
3 April 2017 23:59 (GMT)
the deadline has now expired
The award is available to people from the following country: