Mandela Scholarship (2020)
Type of award
Full Fee Waiver and Maintenance
You receive a full tuition fee waiver and a £12,000 maintenance award.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- have applied and received an offer for a full time, eligible Masters degree at Sussex starting in September 2020 before 26 April 2020.
- be a national of Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe
- submit a separate scholarship application after you have received an offer of a place for your Masters
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you are going to study any of the following courses:
- Postgraduate diplomas (including CPE Common Professional Examination)
- Corruption, Law and Governance LLM (delivered in Qatar)
- Early Years Education (with Early Years Qualified Teacher Status) MA
- Any course taught by the Brighton and Sussex Medical School (BSMS)
- Any course taught online
- Masters degrees in Social Work (if receiving an NHS bursary)
- PGCE courses
- Schools Direct teaching course
- Any Masters funded by the research councils (e.g. those receiving ESRC 1+3 funding)
Number of scholarships available
Deadline26 April 2020 0:00 (GMT)
How to apply
The deadline for this scholarship has now passed. It is no longer possible to apply and late applicants will not be considered.
Scholarship success stories
The Mandela Scholarship has been truly transformative for many people. Since it was founded, more than 80 students have gained a qualification with 96% of scholars returning home to become leaders in their field: scientists, environmentalists, development professionals and government ministers. You can read about the success of previous Mandela Scholars here
You might also be interested in
Successful applicants will be notified after 26 May 2020 and we hope to have a final decision for all applicants by mid-June 2020.
All applicants will be contacted with the result of their application.
26 April 2020 0:00 (GMT)
the deadline has now expired
The award is available to people from these specific countries: