Complaints procedure

Find out below how to report a complaint if you are a student. If you have any problems, we will do our best to remedy them in a timely manner. In the unfortunate event you believe that your problem was not satisfactorily dealt with after being reported, we aim to make our complaints procedure clear and easy to follow.

The University is committed to providing quality student accommodation and we hope that you will enjoy living in our residences.

  1. Report your problem

    Before you submit a complaint, let someone know about your problem as there may be a quicker way to resolve it.

    If you have accommodation questions and concerns

    Call or email the Housing Services team at +44 (0)1273 678220 or (you can also find us on level 2 of Bramber House on campus.)

    If you have an emergency

    • if you're on campus: contact Security at York House, on +44 (0) 1273 873333 (or at for non-emergencies)
    • if you're off campus: call 999 for police, ambulance or fire brigade. If it is not so urgent, call 101 to contact the local police.

    If you need to report illegal behaviour

    Contact Security on:

    +44 (0)1273 873333

    If you need to report anti-social behaviour and nuisance noise

    Speak to the person first if you can and it is safe to do so. If this does not resolve the issue, contact your Residential Advisor or Residence Building Manager.

    If the noise is late at night, call the Night Porter 24-hour reception in York House on +44 (0)1273 678323.

    If you need to make a maintenance and repair request

    If you live in Sussex Homes accommodation, submit a maintenance and repair request form online.

    If you are a current Sussex student living in any other form of Sussex accommodation, contact your Porter or Building Manager first, or report issues to the 24-hour Reception in York House on +44 (0)1273 678323 or Stanmer Court/Kings Road night porter. See your handbook for more details 

    If you need to report internet or network issues

    Contact IT Support on:

    +44 (0)1273 678090 (extension 8090 from phones on the University network)

    If you need help with rent payments

    If you need advice on your rent payment plan, repayment options or other advice regarding your student account, contact Student Accounts on:

    0800 849 4979 (Freephone from UK landlines)

    If you want to make an appeal against charges (not rent related)

    If you wish to appeal a charge applied to your account, for damage to property or cleaning for example, contact your Residence Building Manager.

    If you want to discuss accommodation allocations, transfer or termination of tenancy

    Contact the Housing Services team on:

    +44 (0)1273 678220 (extension 8220 from phones on the University network)

  2. Submit a complaint

    If you feel your problem has not been resolved and wish to submit an official complaint, complete the Housing Services online complaint form below.

    We can only accept individual complaints from students and not from third parties such as parents. Each complaint is dealt with on a case-by-case basis so we are also unable to accept a complaint or damages appeal by one individual on behalf of a group.

    You must submit any request for compensation in writing using the online complaints form. You should submit your complaint as soon as possible as requests for a rent rebate must be submitted within 30 days of any incident occurring.

    Email if you have any questions

What happens after you submit your complaint

We will confirm receipt once the complaint form has been submitted. The complaint will be reviewed by Housing Services management within the terms and conditions of your Tenancy Agreement and the University Rent Rebates and Compensation Policy [DOC 24KB].

The Housing Services team endeavour to respond to your complaint in full within ten working days.

However for ongoing or complex issues this timescale may be extended in which case you will be advised. We thank you for your patience throughout this process.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your compliant then you can appeal the decision. Where it has not been possible to resolve matters via this complaints procedure (Level 1) you should write to the Academic Registrar, as per the University’s Complaints Procedure.

Level 2 complaints should be lodged within three months of the conclusion of the Level 1 phase, and complaints received later than this will not normally be considered.

You might also be interested in: