Student Support Unit


Find out information about campus accessibility below.

Building and campus access information

For information on access to each building on campus, visit the AccessAble website (formally Disabled Go).

Disabled parking

The campus has disabled parking bays.

If you do not have a Disabled Blue Badge and would like to apply for parking on campus because of your health or disability, you can apply by contacting the disability team at the Student Support Unit by emailing

Campus access issues

Students, staff and visitors look at the Service Centre website to find out about any planned work or outages that may affect access to buildings or parts of campus. As well as checking for access issues, staff and students are also encouraged to report any concerns by emailing

If you experience an issue in a non-residential building on campus, report it to the Service Centre at

If you have any concerns or issues with your Campus housing you can report these directly to your Porter who will be pleased to help.

Fire Evacuation Plans

In an emergency or fire find information about safe evacuation. You may also find it helpful for checking building plans, including access and egress routes.

Deaf Alarm System (DMS)

The University has a Deaf Alarm System. Click here for information about DMS and how to register in order to receive notice of alarms (see the Fire Safety drop down).