75% of our faculty are research active, covering a wide variety of areas. The other 25% focus exclusively on teaching and scholarship. This structure enables us to provide quality teaching and integrate current research into our undergraduate courses. We also have a large number of postgraduate and postdoctoral researchers that contribute to our vibrant research culture.
As part of our strategy, we have identified five cross-cutting strategic focus areas that encourage our researchers to work together across traditional boundaries and translate research into impact:
Applied Behavioural Science
Psychological Methods and Open Science
We are home to two major research centres:
We typically attract around 3 million in external funding every year from diverse funders, including five of the UK Research Councils (BBSRC, MRC, ESRC, EPSRC, NERC), the ;European Commission, major UK charitable trusts and the NIHR, alongside philanthropic donors and industrial partners. We use this money to carry out research that has benefited government departments, public services, regulatory bodies, charities, local authorities, industries and individual organisations. Find out more about the impact of our research.
We have a weekly colloquia series that welcomes renowned speakers from all areas of psychology as well as other talk series organised by each of the Research Groups. Psychology is also a major contributor to the Sussex Neuroscience seminar series. Check news and events for more details.
To find out more about our research activities:
- check our four research groups for more details
- read our School blog
- follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.