Another Excellent Result for Sussex - 23 Points for American Studies
5 February 1999
For immediate release
American Studies at the Universityof Sussex has been commended for extremely high quality teaching as a result of the latest inspection by the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) this week. The subject group was awarded 23 points out of a possible total of 24. American Studies is the second subect within a fortnight to achieve such an impressive result - Mathematics and Statistics was also awarded 23 points by the QAA.
The grades awarded to American Studies were as follows:
Curriculum design, content and organisation 3
Teaching, learning and assessment 4
Student progress and achievement 4
Student support and guidance 4
Learning resources 4
Quality assurance and enhancement 4
The review panel gave oral feedback at the end of the inspection. Among their commendations were:
- extremely high quality teaching and some very high quality learning, especially with the use of small group teaching
- the year in America was seen as being central to the excellent programmes run by the subject group and the panel was impressed with the high level of support offered to students during their year in the USA
- the subject group emphasis on supporting independent work was seen as being excellent
- the high level of attainment of students in the final years of the programmes was commended and associated with the very high level of teaching provided
- the excellent academic and pastoral support in the subject group and central services were evident to the panel.
For further information contact Sue Yates, Information Officer, University of Sussex, Tel. 01273 678384, Fax 01273 678335, email firstname.lastname@example.org.