24 March 2004
Bold new look for Sussex
Join us, explore us, challenge us. These are some of the dynamic messages from the new-look University of Sussex.
A bold new logo, based on the initials of the university, has been developed by design company Blast to be used both as a distinctive symbol and as the word "us" for creative marketing campaigns.
The new look, which will be used in place of the university's original 1961 crest design, follows an extensive exercise by brand management company Circus to identify ways to revitalise Sussex within an increasingly competitive higher education market.
Vice-chancellor, Professor Alasdair Smith, says: "Our new visual identity is the starting point for what will be a fresh look and feel for Sussex. It is based on the university's vision and values, themselves a statement of what it aspires to be: pioneering, creative, international, excellent, engaging and challenging."
The new look and identity is part of a wider series of major developments at the university since 2002. They include:
- An overhaul of the Sussex schools system, which involved creating five new schools of study from the previous eleven to create a more coherent and flexible structure.
- A revised arts curriculum, which includes new degree combinations such as art history and anthropology, as well as developing new areas such as drama studies, film studies and media studies.
- A dramatic rise in student applications and admissions. In 2003 the university saw a rise of 18 per cent in applications - five times the national average.
- The opening of the new Brighton and Sussex Medical School, a joint venture between the universities of Brighton and Sussex, in 2003. It has become one of the most popular choices for medical students, with more than 1,800 applicants applying for its 128 places.
- The largest programme of building work since the university was opened, including new student accommodation, teaching blocks and research buildings such as the £5.5 million Genome Damage and Stability Centre.
Notes for editors
- The new logo was developed by design company Blast (contact Colin Gifford, Tel: 0207 359 7422. The vision and values exercise was conducted by Circus (Tel: 0207 837 4466). Images are available.
- University of Sussex Press Office contacts: Jacqui Bealing or Maggie Clune, Tel: 01273 678888, Fax 01273 877456, J.A.Bealing@sussex.ac.uk or M.T.Clune@sussex.ac.uk.
Information for Journalists Previous press releases University Homepage