Perspectives on Practice; Professional Approaches (X3227)
30 credits, Level 5
In this module, you gain the professional skills to work with children and young people.
You learn the key skills for practice, including:
- communication, dialogue and listening
- working with groups, and managing group dynamics
- creative work with children, young people and families, including visual and digital arts, music and drama, and an introduction to Forest School theory and methods
- observation in mainstream educational contexts
- understanding assessment and feedback.
You also look at:
- observation and assessment in children's social care
- approaches to communication and practice in working with children with special educational needs
- therapeutic approaches to work with children and young people, including counselling and play therapy.
This module includes preparation for your observational placement in education, early years, youth work, or the play service.
100%: Coursework (Portfolio)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 303 hours of work. This breaks down into 63 hours of contact time and 240 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.