Electrical Machines & Power Electronics (H7090)
15 credits, Level 5
Topics covered on this module include:
- DC machines and transformers
- AC machines and rotating magnetic fields
- synchronous machines
- induction machines
- variable frequency control of AC motors
- power electronics technology, devices and applications
- DC choppers and switched-mode regulators
- AC controllers and cyclo-converters
- DC link DC-AC inverters
- quasi-square wave and PWM operation
- electronic drive circuits.
35%: Practical (Laboratory)
20%: Coursework (Report)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 39 hours of contact time and 111 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.