Electrical Circuits & Devices (H6098)
15 credits, Level 4
Topics covered on this module include:
- DC circuits: Ohm's law
- Kirchhoff's laws, node and mesh analysis
- Thvenin's theorem, Norton's theorem, superposition principle
- AC circuits: inductance (L) and Capacitance (C)
- sinusoidal steady-state, phasors
- energy dissipation and storage
- frequency response of R-L, R-C and R-L-C circuits, resonance
- transient response of R-L, R-C and R-L-C circuits
- operational amplifiers: inverting, non-inverting and differential amplifiers
- integrators and differentiators
- simple filters
- semiconductor devices: diodes, junction transistor as a switch, Boolean algebra, Karnaugh maps, Combinational logic
- simple circuit applications: rectifiers.
39%: Practical (Laboratory, Workshop)
30%: Coursework (Problem Set, Professional log, Report)
70%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 52 hours of contact time and 98 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.