Engineering Mathematics 2 (H1042)
15 credits, Level 5
- second order differential equations, linear homogeneous, and non-homogeneous
- initial and boundary value problems
- laplace transforms and associated theorems
- solution of ODEs via Laplace Transforms
- the numerical solution of ODEs
- partial differential equations
- line, surface and volume integrals
- theorems of Gauss and Stokes
- Laplace's equation
- Poisson's equation
- wave equation
- probability: random variables, distribution and density functions, expectations and rms
- Central Limit Theorem
- estimation of parameters: moment and maximum likelihood methods, confidence intervals
- regression: least squares fit, correlation
- quality control: acceptance sampling, reliability, failure rates, Weibull distribution.
23%: Practical (Workshop)
20%: Coursework (Problem Set)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 43 hours of contact time and 107 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.