15 credits, Level 5
Topics covered on this module include:
- definition of a group, examples, abelian groups, subgroups, cosets, Lagrange's theorem, cyclic groups
- the symmetric group S_n and conjugacy
- homomorphisms, normal subgroups and quotient groups
- definition of a ring, examples, polynomial rings, ideals and homomorphisms
- definition of a field and construction of extensions.
23%: Practical (Workshop)
20%: Coursework (Problem Set, Test)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 43 hours of contact time and 107 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.