15 credits, Level 5
This is a first module on electro/magnetostatics and electrodynamics in differential form with key applications.
Topics covered include:
- Mathematical Revision
- Electrostatics: equations for the E-field, potential, energy, basic boundary-value setups
- Electrostatics: dielectrics, displacement and free charge
- Magnetostatics: forces, equations for the B-field, vector potential, Biot-Savart, dipole field of current loops
- Magnetostatics: diamagnetism and paramagnetism, auxiliary field H, ferromagnetism
- Electrodynamics: Faraday's law, inductance and back emf, circuit applications, Maxwell-Ampere law, energy and Poynting's theorem
- Electromagnetic waves: wave equation, plane waves, polarization, waves in dielectrics, reflection at an interface, wave velocity/group velocity/dispersion
- Potentials and dipole radiation
25%: Practical (Workshop)
25%: Seminar (Class)
20%: Coursework (Problem Set)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 36 hours of contact time and 114 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.