Mathematical Methods for Physics 2 (F3202)
15 credits, Level 4
In this module, you cover:
Integration of scalar and vector fields:
- surface integrals of functions of two variables using cartesian and polar coordinates
- surface integrals of functions of three variables using cartesian, spherical polar and cylindrical polar coordinates
- volume integrals of functions of three variables using cartesian, spherical polar and cylindrical polar coordinates
- line integrals along two- and three-dimensional curves
- partial differentiation of functions of several variables
- definition and interpretation of partial derivatives
- partial derivatives of first and higher order
Differentiation of scalar and vector fields:
- directional derivative
- gradient, divergence and curl and their properties
- theorems of Gauss, Stokes and their applications
The computer lab component of the course will introduce you to Python.
42%: Practical (Practical, Workshop)
30%: Coursework (Problem Set, Software Exercise)
70%: Examination (Computer-based examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 76 hours of contact time and 74 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.