Medical Neuroscience (C1129)
45 credits, Level 5
You will learn the following topics:
- the structure and function of the brain at the anatomical, cellular and molecular levels
- the way that drugs interact with the brain
- the development of the brain as well as its degeneration and the changes accompanying ageing
- the organisation and function of the sensory and motor pathways and the biological bases of pain and the diseases of motor control
- the neuroanatomy and neurochemistry of learning and memory and of dementias
- the biological and psychosocial bases of major clinical syndromes in psychiatry
- the biological and psychosocial bases of common neurological diseases.
50%: Coursework (Essay, Portfolio, Test)
50%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 300 hours of work. This breaks down into 78 hours of contact time and 222 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.