Neural Circuits (C1098)
15 credits, Level 5
This module will teach you about neural mechanisms generating animal behaviour. The level of analysis emphasises types of behaviour that can be understood in terms of underlying neural circuits or specific structures with well known neural architectures within the brain.
Topics covered include:
- organisation and modulation of central pattern generator (CPG) circuits
- advanced techniques for monitoring and manipulating neural circuits
- modelling of neural circuits
- sensory and motor functions of spinal cord circuits
- brain circuits underlying motor control
- circuits underlying non-associative and associative learning
- addiction and learning circuits
- defects in circuits
- development of neural circuits
100%: Coursework (Essay)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 22 hours of contact time and 128 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.