Fibre Optic Communications (831H1)
15 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
Topics covered in this module include:
- analysis of slab wave-guide
- analysis of step index fibre
- dispersion in the step index fibre
- mono-mode fibre
- propagation of light rays in multi-mode graded index fibres
- dispersion in graded index fibres
- light sources and detectors
- modulation of semiconductor light sources
- transfer characteristic and impulse response of fibre communication systems
- power launching and coupling efficiency
- receiver principles and signal-to noise ratio in analogue receivers
- receivers for digital optical fibre communication systems
- system noise
- system components and aspects of system design
- coherent optical fibre communication
- network systems.
100%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 30 hours of contact time and 120 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.