Mobile Communications (826H1)
15 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
The aim of the module is to introduce the fundamental principles of mobile communications and provide you with up-to-date knowledge and skills that are important in the design of mobile communication systems.
The following topics will be covered:
- overview of mobile communication systems
- cellular mobile communications concept
- mobile radio channel and mitigation
- digital modulation
- spread spectrum
- diversity, Multiple-input Multiple-output (MIMO)
- multiple access techniques
- wireless Local Area Network (WLAN)
- medium access control
- research project and simulation work using MATLAB software tools.
50%: Practical (Laboratory, Workshop)
30%: Coursework (Report)
70%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 40 hours of contact time and 110 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.