Advanced Manufacturing Technologies (520H3)
15 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
This module focuses on advanced manufacturing technologies for advanced materials. The actual content will be updated as new technology is developed. The initial focus will be on the following topics:
- concurrent engineering and the software environment that supports it
- computer-integrated manufacture and industrial informatics
- rapid prototyping and time compression technologies
- rapid tooling
- stereolithography, selective laser sintering, direct metal laser sintering (DMLS)
- laminated object manufacture
- 3D printing
- laser manufacturing technology
- laser micro-machining technology
- turbomachinery manufacturing technologies
- aerospace and automotive manufacturing technologies.
20%: Coursework (Essay)
80%: Examination (Unseen examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is 150 hours of work. This breaks down into 20 hours of contact time and 130 hours of independent study.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.