School of Engineering and Informatics (for staff and students)

Essential information for all students

How we will contact you
  • Email: Important information will be sent to your University email address (not to any personal email addresses). Please check your email regularly to ensure you do not miss any of these communications.
  • Post: Official University communications such as transcripts, are occasionally sent by post, so please ensure your term-time address and contact details are kept up-to-date in Sussex Direct. 
  • Microsoft Teams: You can use this to contact your Academic Adviser and your peers.
  • Noticeboards: information on student reps, student mentors, careers and placements, competitions etc. will be posted on the noticeboards in the Engineering and Informatics School Office foyer area in Chichester I.
  • Text Messaging: Teaching faculty are encouraged to use the automated text messaging facility to issue urgent messaging to students in cases of class cancellations. Please ensure your contact details are up-to-date in Sussex Direct.
Candidate number

You can find your candidate number in Sussex Direct and on your student ID card. You must include your candidate number, (not your name), on all assessments. 

Lost ID card

Find out what to do if you lose your ID card.

Attendance at lectures, tutorials and practical sessions

Attendance at your taught sessions is compulsory and your attendance is monitored by the School attendance monitoring team. We expect all our students to attend at least 80% of their timetabled teaching sessions. For online delivery of teaching, your engagement with online materials will be monitored as proof of attendance.

These sessions include lectures, laboratory sessions, workshops and seminars held in person where a register is taken, or equivalent online sessions. If you are unable to attend, you should let the tutor for the session know in advance, if possible. 

If you are unable to attend teaching for more than 2-3 days, you should send an email to to explain, giving details of your absence and your expected return date.

Any repeated or unexplained absences will be noted and you may be required to attend a meeting of the School Student Progress Committee, who may then recommend that you withdraw from the University, either temporarily or permanently. 

For further detail, please see the Attendance, Engagement and Absence policy.

Submission of coursework assignments

Refer to your Assessment Deadlines and Exam Timetable on Sussex Direct for coursework submission details. Further details on coursework submission.

Marks and feedback

Marks and feedback will normally be communicated to you within 15 working days of the submission date. Laboratory workbooks will be returned by the tutor in a teaching group. Marks and feedback for e-submissions will be published on Canvas.

Feedback on your progress may take many forms and is not confined to the mark you receive. The module lecturer will explain to you how they intend to provide feedback to support your learning. Examples of feeback include:

  • Individual comments on Canvas or Sussex Direct
  • Generic feedback to the whole class on Canvas or Sussex Direct
  • Provision of model solutions in lectures and/or on Canvas

It is your responsibility to make note of and integrate this feedback into your work. If you need specific feedback for an assignment, you should contact the Module Convenor. 

Missing an assessment or submitting work late

You can make an exceptional circumstances claim if you experience something sudden, temporary and unforeseen, which could have an impact on one or more of your assessments.

If you would like to discuss your circumstances before you submit your claim, you can speak to an adviser at the Student Life Centre

If you are registered with the Student Support Unit and have reasonable adjustments, you’re already entitled to an automatic late penalty waiver where your assessment allows this. Click the link for further details.

Resitting a module or assessment

You must check your own assessment deadlines and exam timetable in Sussex Direct for full details of the resit assessment(s) that you are required to do. Assessments may include exams, coursework and presentations. If your resit contains a coursework element, you will find the resit assignment(s) on the relevant Canvas site in a separate clearly labelled section. Resit coursework assignments will be published approximately four weeks prior to the submission deadline. 

Always refer to your assessment deadlines and exam timetable in Sussex Direct for submission details. If you have any queries about your resits, please contact the School Office through the Virtual Reception.


You can request a letter to prove your status as a student and get forms completed by the University. See Letters and Documents on the Student Hub. 

Academic Advisers

If you are having academic problems, contact your academic advisor. You should see their contact details on your study page in Sussex Direct. If your query is related to a specific module, contact the module tutor first. See the dedicated section below for further information.

Getting a transcript of your results

You can request an interim transcript, confirming the results of modules you have completed so far. 

If you have completed your course, you will be presented with your final transcript at your graduation ceremony.

See Transcripts and Certificates for further information.

Job references

Your academic advisor is the best person to go to for a reference, as they will have had regular contact with you throughout your University career. You can also ask your final year project supervisor. Requests for references are not usually refused, but it is polite to ask the proposed referee before submitting your job application.  


Other Useful Links


School of Engineering and Informatics (for staff and students)

School Office:
School of Engineering and Informatics, University of Sussex, Chichester 1 Room 002, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9QJ
T 01273 (67) 8195

School Office opening hours: School Office open Monday – Friday 09:00-15:00, phone lines open Monday-Friday 09:00-17:00
School Office location [PDF 1.74MB]