Loading content, please wait..
loading..
Logo
Version 3.24
or
Publication Type J
Authors Dilipan, E; Papenbrock, J; Thangaradjou, T
Author Full Name Dilipan, Elangovan; Papenbrock, Jutta; Thangaradjou, Thirunavakkarasu
Title Random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) finger prints evidencing high genetic variability among marine angiosperms of India
Source JOURNAL OF THE MARINE BIOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION OF THE UNITED KINGDOM
Language English
Document Type Article
Author Keywords Marine angiosperm; genetic variability; RAPD; India
Keywords Plus POSIDONIA-OCEANICA; ZOSTERA-MARINA; SEAGRASS; DIVERSITY; POPULATIONS; HALOPHILA; MARKERS; HYDROCHARITACEAE; CONSERVATION; PROSPECTS
Abstract In India 14 seagrass species can be found with monospecific genera (Enhalus, Thalassia and Syringodium), Cymodocea with two species and Halophila and Halodule represented by more than two taxonomically complex species. Considering this, the present study was made to understand the level and pattern of genetic variability among these species collected from Tamilnadu coast, India. Random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) analysis was used to evaluate the level of polymorphism existing between the species. Out of the 12 primers tested, 10 primers amplified 415 DNA fragments with an average of 41.5 fragments per primer. Of the total 415 amplified fragments only 123 (29.7%) were monomorphic and the remaining 292 (70.3%) were polymorphic for Indian seagrass species. Among the 10 primers used four are identified as the key primers capable of distinguishing all the Indian seagrasses with a high degree of polymorphism and bringing representative polymorphic alleles in all the tested seagrasses. From the present investigation, this study shows that the RAPD marker technique can be used not only as a tool to analyse genetic diversity but also to resolve the taxonomic uncertainties existing in the Indian seagrasses. The efficiency of these primers in bringing out the genetic polymorphism or homogeneity among different populations of the Halophila and Halodule complex still has to be tested before recommending these primers as an identification tool for Indian seagrasses.
Author Address [Dilipan, Elangovan; Thangaradjou, Thirunavakkarasu] Annamalai Univ, Ctr Adv Study Marine Biol, Parangipettai 608502, Tamil Nadu, India; [Papenbrock, Jutta] Leibniz Univ Hannover, Inst Bot, Herrenhauserstr 2, D-30419 Hannover, Germany; [Thangaradjou, Thirunavakkarasu] Sci & Engn Res Board, New Delhi 110070, India
Reprint Address Thangaradjou, T (reprint author), Annamalai Univ, Ctr Adv Study Marine Biol, Parangipettai 608502, Tamil Nadu, India.; Thangaradjou, T (reprint author), Sci & Engn Res Board, New Delhi 110070, India.
E-mail Address umaradjou@yahoo.com
Funding Agency and Grant Number DAAD; Leibniz University Hannover
Funding Text E. Dilipan is thankful to the DAAD and the Leibniz University Hannover, for financial support through 'A new passage to India' with which the present study was carried out.
Cited Reference Count 54
Times Cited 1
Total Times Cited Count (WoS, BCI, and CSCD) 1
Publisher CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS
Publisher City NEW YORK
Publisher Address 32 AVENUE OF THE AMERICAS, NEW YORK, NY 10013-2473 USA
ISSN 0025-3154
29-Character Source Abbreviation J MAR BIOL ASSOC UK
ISO Source Abbreviation J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. U.K.
Publication Date SEP
Year Published 2017
Volume 97
Issue 6
Beginning Page 1307
Ending Page 1315
Digital Object Identifier (DOI) 10.1017/S0025315416000631
Page Count 9
Web of Science Category Marine & Freshwater Biology
Subject Category Marine & Freshwater Biology
Document Delivery Number FX9LF
Unique Article Identifier WOS:000426420100010
Plants associated with this reference

LEGAL NOTICES — This website is protected by Copyright © The University of Sussex, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022. The eHALOPH database is protected by Database Right and Copyright © The University of Sussex and other contributors, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022. This database is based on an earlier work by James Aronson.
THIS WEBSITE AND THIS DATABASE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND YOU USE THEM AND RELY ON THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Contact email: halophytes@sussex.ac.uk
Credits – Tim Flowers, Joaquim Santos, Moritz Jahns, Brian Warburton, Peter Reed