Loading content, please wait..
loading..
Logo
Version 3.15
or
Publication Type J
Authors Bagheri, H., A. Ghorbani, M. A. Z. Chahouki, A. A. Jafari and K. Sefidy
Title HALOPHYTE SPECIES DISTRIBUTION MODELING WITH MAXENT MODEL IN THE SURROUNDING RANGELANDS OF MEIGHAN PLAYA, IRAN
Source Applied Ecology and Environmental Research
Author Keywords plant ecology habitat selection models occurrence model maximum entropy presence-only data Markazy province salt prediction stress
Abstract The aim of this study is to examine halophyte species (six species) distribution modeling using the maximum entropy (MaxEnt) method in the surrounding rangelands of Meighan playa, central Iran. Sampling method was random-systematic. A total of 150 plots (30 plots of 2 to 25 m(2) in each type) were collected. In each plot, species density and canopy cover were recorded. Soil samples were collected at the start and end of each transect from a depth of 0-30 cm and 30-60 cm. Soil characteristics, including texture, available water, lime, organic matter, acidity (pH), electrical conductivity (EC) and soluble solute (Na+, Ca2+, Mg2+, K+, Co3-2 and Hco3-) were measured in the lab. Maps of environmental variables, including elevation, slope and aspect were prepared using geographic information system (GIS). Soil layer maps were prepared using geostatistical method, including semivariogram analysis and Kriging interpolation. After preparing maps of environmental variables, plant distribution and modeling was conducted using MaxEnt model. Before running the model, the area under the curve (AUC), receiver operating characteristics (ROC) function, equal sensitivity and specificity method, Jackknife test and kappa coefficient were done. Models were built for each species using 70% of the data; the remaining 30% was used to test the models. According to the results, species habitats prefer variables such as soil texture, potassium, lime and organic matter. Kappa coefficient was considered excellent for species habitats of Halocnemum strobilaceum M. Bieb., 1819.) (0.91) and Aeluropus littoralis (Gouan) Parl., 1850) (0.89), for Salsola incanescens C. A. Mey., 1833) (0.84) and Halimione verrucifera (M. Bieb) Aellen, 1938) (0.83) as very good, and good for the habitats of Suaeda aegyptiaca (Hasselq.) Zohary, 1957) and Limonium iranicum (Bornm.) Lincz., 1952) species (kappa for both=0.7). The results of this study could be used in convenient locations that have resuscitation potential habitat for this species.
Author Address [Bagheri, H.; Ghorbani, A.; Sefidy, K.] Univ Mohaghegh Ardabili, Dept Range & Watershed Management, Ardebil, Iran. [Chahouki, Zare M. A.] Univ Tehran, Faulty Nat Resources, Tehran, Iran. [Jafari, A. A.] Res Inst Forests & Rangelands, Tehran, Iran. Ghorbani, A (reprint author), Univ Mohaghegh Ardabili, Dept Range & Watershed Management, Ardebil, Iran. a_ghorbani@uma.ac.ir
ISSN 1589-1623
ISBN 1589-1623
29-Character Source Abbreviation Appl. Ecol. Environ. Res.
Year Published 2017
Volume 15
Issue 3
Beginning Page 1473-1484
Digital Object Identifier (DOI) 10.15666/aeer/1503_14731484
Unique Article Identifier WOS:000403811200104

LEGAL NOTICES — This website is protected by Copyright © The University of Sussex, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017. The eHALOPH database is protected by Database Right and Copyright © The University of Sussex and other contributors, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017. This database is based on an earlier work by James Aronson.
THIS WEBSITE AND THIS DATABASE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND YOU USE THEM AND RELY ON THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Contact email: halophytes@sussex.ac.uk
Credits – Tim Flowers, Joaquim Santos, Moritz Jahns, Brian Warburton, Peter Reed