Loading content, please wait..
loading..
Logo
Version 3.24
or
Authors Joo, YK; Chun, SU; Jung, YS; Lee, SK
Author Full Name Joo, YK; Chun, SU; Jung, YS; Lee, SK
Title Selection procedure for turfgrass in New Incheon International Airport
Source COMMUNICATIONS IN SOIL SCIENCE AND PLANT ANALYSIS
Language English
Document Type Article
Author Keywords New Incheon International Airport; back-filled soil; turfgrass; salinity
Keywords Plus SALT TOLERANCE
Abstract The back-Filled soil of the New Incheon International Airport in South Korea construction site was reclaimed with sea sand from the bottom of the sea and with sludge from along the bank, of an inlet near Yongjong Island. The objective of this study was to investigate soil change to improve the soil properties where plant growth was limited by salts. The experiment was carried out from August 1993 to June 1997 to restore soil bases (SL, a base constructed using dredged sludge along the bank of an inlet, SD, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea; SDC, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha(-1) calcium hydroxide; SDCD, a based constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha(-1) calcium hydroxide and with an established closed drainage system at 30 cm depth) and to ,select salt tolerance turfgrass species (Puccinella distans: Zoysia sinica; Zoysia japonica; CSG I, a combination of cool season grasses I with Festuca arundinacea 50%+Lolium perenne 30% + Agrotis alba 20% by weight; CSG II. a combination of cool season grasses II with Festuca arundinacea 50% + Festuca rubra 50% by weight) for a low maintenance area that included most of the open space of the airport site. In our study, soil salinity did not significantly affect the growth of turfgrass without irrigation in the dry season over the five years. The salinity decreased under I dS m(-1) in 70 days on bases SD, SDC, and SDCD only with rainfall. Zoysia sinica and Zoysia japonica had a higher turfgrass coverage than Puccinella distans, CSG I and CSG II.
Author Address Yonsei Univ, Dept Biol Resources & Technol, Seoul 220, South Korea; Kangweon Natl Univ, Div Environm Biol, Chunchon 200, South Korea
Reprint Address Chun, SU (corresponding author), 1-1-1 Yayoi,Bunkyo Ku, Tokyo 1138657, Japan.
Times Cited 1
Total Times Cited Count (WoS, BCI, and CSCD) 1
Publisher MARCEL DEKKER INC
Publisher City NEW YORK
Publisher Address 270 MADISON AVE, NEW YORK, NY 10016 USA
ISSN 0010-3624
29-Character Source Abbreviation COMMUN SOIL SCI PLAN
ISO Source Abbreviation Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal.
Year Published 2001
Volume 32
Issue 15-16
Beginning Page 2589
Ending Page 2601
Digital Object Identifier (DOI) 10.1081/CSS-120000393
Page Count 13
Web of Science Category Agronomy; Plant Sciences; Chemistry, Analytical; Soil Science
Subject Category Agriculture; Plant Sciences; Chemistry
Document Delivery Number 486DV
Unique Article Identifier WOS:000171803900018
Plants associated with this reference

LEGAL NOTICES — This website is protected by Copyright © The University of Sussex, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022. The eHALOPH database is protected by Database Right and Copyright © The University of Sussex and other contributors, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022. This database is based on an earlier work by James Aronson.
THIS WEBSITE AND THIS DATABASE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND YOU USE THEM AND RELY ON THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Contact email: halophytes@sussex.ac.uk
Credits – Tim Flowers, Joaquim Santos, Moritz Jahns, Brian Warburton, Peter Reed