Senior Sustainability Policy Officer (University Wide) Ref: 7348
School/department: Estates, Facilities and Commercial Services
Hours: Full time or part time hours considered up to a maximum of 1FTE. Requests for flexible working options will be considered (subject to business need).
Salary: starting at £34,304 to £40,927 per annum
Placed on: 28 January 2022
Closing date: 18 February 2022. Applications must be received by midnight of the closing date.
Expected interview date: tbc
Expected start date: tbc
Are you passionate about sustainability? Do you want to be part of the core team making Sussex one of the most Sustainable Universities in the world?
In July 2021 we published Sustainable Sussex, the first University of Sussex Sustainability Strategy that sets out our road map for reaching net zero by 2035.
The University is now looking to recruit a talented sustainability professional to support our Sustainability Manager to deliver the new environmental, social and economic commitments set out within our Sustainability Strategy and to play a lead role in managing sustainability operations and business as usual activities across the institution.
The successful post holder will:
- Successfully project manage the delivery of key sustainability projects and initiatives identified with the University Sustainability Strategy as agreed with the Sustainability Manager – these are likely to include, but not be limited to project to embed sustainability further in student experience, research, procurement, transport, waste, energy, projects, food, water and environmental management and education.
- Assisting the sustainability manger to develop new sustainability policies and procedures (environmental, social and economic), for example: sustainable water, business travel and project waste policies
- Take an active role in embedding new sustainability initiatives within organisational culture, smoothing out implementation problems and helping the organisation to move towards higher levels of operational maturity
- Respond to requests from across the business for support and internal consultancy on how to make projects and initiatives across the campus more sustainable – including providing a sustainability perspective on various committees and task finish groups as appropriate
- Oversee the management of the sustainability team inbox, ensuring that all queries, complaints and suggestions are responded to appropriately
- Assist the sustainability manager in managing the team’s budget – ensuring necessary record keeping, invoices, purchase order and value for money procedures are adhered to at all times
- Produce necessary project management materials and documentations, such as the preparation of business cases, project plans, risk registers and highlight reports as required
- Deputise for the Sustainability Manager at meetings (external and internal) and during holidays, as required
- Establish effective internal and external stakeholder networks and relationships
- Undertake best practice research on sustainability topics to support internal policy and operational development
- Directly line manage a graduate sustainability associate – training and coaching them to be effective in the role in a manner that is consistent with dignity and respect.
The successful candidates will be an experienced sustainability professional who has a track record of improving sustainability at an institutional level, either as an external consultant or an internal member of staff.
Please contact email@example.com for informal enquiries.
The University of Sussex values the diversity of its staff and students and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
You can find out more about our values and our EDI Strategy, Inclusive Sussex, on our webpages.
The University requires that work undertaken for the University is performed from the UK.
Visa Sponsorship Queries:
This role may be eligible for sponsorship. For a job to be eligible for sponsorship it needs to be assigned an eligible SOC code & meet minimum salary requirements. Please contact HRCompliance@sussex.ac.uk so they can check if this role can be assigned to an eligible SOC code and meets the minimum salary requirements. You can also consult our Skilled Worker Visa Information page for further information
How to apply
You must email your completed application, and personal details and equal opportunities form, to firstname.lastname@example.org
You should attach your application form and all documents to the email in PDF format (we are unable to accept applications as google.docs or .pages) and use the format job reference number / job title / your name in the subject line.
You can also send your application by post to Human Resources Division, Sussex House, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9RH.
- Download our terms and conditions summary for Administrative Staff and Other related faculty [PDF 12.54KB]