Senior Procurement Consultant Ref: 6644
School/department: Procurement - Finance
Hours: Full Time or part time hours considered up to 1FTE. This post has been designated as a hybrid worker role, with an equal split between campus and remote working. Further requests for flexible working options will be considered (subject to business need).
Salary: starting at £42,149 to £50,296 per annum, pro rata if part time
Placed on: 23 September 2021
Closing date: 19 October 2021. Applications must be received by midnight of the closing date.
Expected Interview date: to be confirmed
The University of Sussex is seeking a Senior Procurement professional to join our strategic team.
The University is embarking on an exciting period of strategic investment, focussing heavily on IT and Estates through a series of capital investment projects to develop our campus, teaching and research infrastructure. This post will play a lead role in delivering procurement activity for these investment roadmaps, achieving transformative outputs over the next few years.
The successful candidate will lead in securing value for money from areas of the University’s commercial relationships, with primary responsibility for expenditure relating to an assigned category, or categories, of spend.
The University has recently launched Sustainable Sussex, and the aims and objectives of this policy will be embedded within everything we do. The successful candidate will have strong knowledge, skills and passion to support and drive these objectives within our third party spend.
This role has been mapped as equivalent to the “Professional” competence level in the CIPS Global Standards. The post holder will therefore be expected to demonstrate equivalent knowledge and capability, and maintain a performance level up to and including this competence threshold.
* Lead pre-procurement, sourcing and contract management activity including strategy development, market engagement, tendering, negotiation, supplier debriefing, contract & performance management and exit activity where required. These will often be for large, complex requirements compliant with the Public Contracts Regulations.
* Drive value for money in commercial contracts, transactions and arrangements for procuring goods and services and in ongoing relationships with suppliers.
* Leading the development and implementation of category strategies, using market insight and strategic awareness to inform the content and identify opportunities for enhanced value for money in commercial arrangements
* Represent the Procurement department in major strategic project and procurement initiatives, providing clear and constructive input, leadership, guidance and advice and sitting on relevant project/programme boards or working groups.
* Develop and manage productive relationships with senior stakeholders and suppliers to support delivery, implementation and management of commercial services, contract management and sourcing strategies.
* Ensuring a pipeline of commercial and contract management activity is maintained across assigned area(s) of spend.
* Tracking and analysing spend, savings, supplier performance and driving continuous improvement across assigned area(s) of spend.
* The role may involve line management of one or more individuals, and therefore will involve leading, developing and line management to deliver quality outputs and a positive work environment.
* Adherence, and ensuring reports adhere to, governance, legislative and policy requirements.
* Through supplier relationships and contractual agreements, support the aims, commitments and ambitions set out within the University’s Sustainability Strategy.
The following may be useful to candidates in understanding Sussex and in understanding the role.
Sussex 2025 Strategy:
Working at Sussex & Staff Benefits:
The University operates a “Flexible by Default” employment strategy, please feel free to contact us for more information or to confirm any specific requirements/concerns you may have.
We currently expect to operate a hybrid working pattern, with a combination of home and campus working across Professional Services and the Finance Division (including Procurement).
The University is set on a beautiful campus on the South Downs, has excellent transport links and parking on site along with ample space to secure bicycles. There are a theatre, two gyms, multiple cafes, restaurants and shops on campus, along with a range of activities and clubs which staff are able to participate in.
The University has an attractive Defined Benefit pension scheme, details of which can be found here:
Please contact Tim Copping (firstname.lastname@example.org, 01273 872780) for informal enquiries.
The University of Sussex values the diversity of its staff and students and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
You can find out more about our values and our EDI Strategy, Inclusive Sussex, on our webpages.
Visa Sponsorship Queries:
This role may be eligible for sponsorship. If you require visa sponsorship from the University of Sussex to undertake this role please consult our Skilled Worker Visa information page for further information. If you want further advice on sponsorship eligibility please contact HRCompliance@sussex.ac.uk
How to apply
You must email your completed application, and personal details and equal opportunities form, to email@example.com
You should attach your application form and all documents to the email in PDF format (we are unable to accept applications as google.docs or .pages) and use the format job reference number / job title / your name in the subject line.
You can also send your application by post to Human Resources Division, Sussex House, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9RH.
- Download our terms and conditions summary for Administrative Staff and Other related faculty [PDF 12.54KB]