Procurement Advisor Ref: 6643
School/department: Procurement - Finance
Hours: Full Time or part time hours considered up to 36.5 per hours. This post has been designated as a hybrid worker role, with an equal split between campus and remote working. Further requests for flexible working options will be considered (subject to business need).
Salary: starting at £26,341 to £30,497 per annum, pro rata if part time
Placed on: 23 September 2021
Closing date: 19 October 2021. Applications must be received by midnight of the closing date.
Expected Interview date: to be confirmed
The University of Sussex is seeking an aspiring Procurement professional to join our strategic team.
The successful candidate will bring a positive attitude, practical skills and desire to learn and develop within the Procurement environment. In return, the role offers an exciting variety of work opportunities and a structured training and development programme through to full MCIPS.
This post was introduced a number of years ago, and previous holders have successfully developed towards MCIPS qualification whilst also successfully progressing within the Procurement team. This is an incredible opportunity for an ambitious self-starter to embark on a Procurement career which will lead to the industry leading qualification and opportunities to progress.
The University is embarking on an exciting period of strategic investment, focussing heavily on IT and Estates through a series of capital investment projects to develop our campus, teaching and research infrastructure. This post will support in delivering procurement activity for these investment roadmaps, achieving transformative outputs over the next few years.
The University has recently launched Sustainable Sussex, and the aimed and objectives of this policy will be embedded within everything we do. The successful candidate will have the passion to support and drive these objectives within our third party spend, and will develop the skills and knowledge through training and mentoring.
This role has been mapped as equivalent to the “Tactical” competence level in the CIPS Global Standards. The post holder will therefore be expected to work towards equivalent knowledge and capability, and maintain a performance level up to and including this competence threshold whilst studying towards further development.
* The post holder will be expected to undertake a programme of professional study for a procurement qualification (MCIPS). This will be funded by the University in accordance with the departmental study policy, although the post holder will be expected to maintain CIPS membership to enable their ongoing study.
* Assist with providing a professional sourcing and procurement service to the University for all goods, services and works ensuring best value for money, service and quality from the most suitable suppliers, and in full compliance with relevant legislation.
* Support the Procurement team to drive value for money in commercial contracts, transactions and arrangements for procuring goods and services and in its ongoing relationships with suppliers.
* Support pre-procurement, sourcing and contract management activity including strategy development, market engagement, negotiation, performance management and exit activity where required.
* Support the development and implementation of category strategies, using market insight and strategic awareness to inform the content and identify opportunities for enhanced value for money in commercial arrangements
* Support the Procurement lead on major strategic project and procurement initiatives, providing clear and constructive input, leadership, guidance and advice.
* Support the Procurement team in tracking and analysing spend, savings, supplier performance and driving continuous improvement across assigned area(s) of spend.
* Support the aims, commitments and ambitions set out within the University’s Sustainability Strategy.
The following may be useful to candidates in understanding Sussex and in understanding the role.
Working at Sussex & Staff Benefits:
The University operates a “Flexible by Default” employment strategy, please feel free to contact us for more information or to confirm any specific requirements/concerns you may have.
We currently expect to operate a hybrid working pattern, with a combination of home and campus working across the Finance Division (including Procurement)
The University is set on a beautiful campus on the South Downs, has excellent transport links and parking on site along with space to lock bicycles. There are a theatre, two gyms, multiple cafes, restaurants and shops on campus, along with a range of activities and clubs which staff are able to participate in.
Please contact Tim Copping (firstname.lastname@example.org, 01273 872780) for informal enquiries.
The University of Sussex values the diversity of its staff and students and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
You can find out more about our values and our EDI Strategy, Inclusive Sussex, on our webpages.
Visa Sponsorship Queries:
This role may be eligible for sponsorship. If you require visa sponsorship from the University of Sussex to undertake this role please consult our Skilled Worker Visa information page for further information. If you want further advice on sponsorship eligibility please contact HRCompliance@sussex.ac.uk
How to apply
You must email your completed application, and personal details and equal opportunities form, to email@example.com
You should attach your application form and all documents to the email in PDF format (we are unable to accept applications as google.docs or .pages) and use the format job reference number / job title / your name in the subject line.
You can also send your application by post to Human Resources Division, Sussex House, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9RH.