Law Graduate Associate Ref: 5892
School/department General Counsel, Governance, Compliance
Hours: Full time/ 36.5 hours. Requests for flexible working options will be considered (subject to business need).
Contract: 3 months, with the possibility of extension up to 6 months
Salary: starting at £19,133
Placed on: 08 July 2021
Closing date: 28 July 2021
Expected Interview date: 03 August 2021 (TBC)
Expected start date: Mid - August
This vacancy is open to University of Sussex Law Graduates Winter 2020 or Summer 2021 (UG and PGT).
The Division of General Counsel Governance and Compliance is seeking to recruit a law graduate with a keen interest and ability in land law to undertake a full title review of the University’s leasehold and freehold interests, under the supervision of one of the team’s lawyers.
The post holder will be responsible for ascertaining all interests in and rights and reservations over the land. In carrying out this role the post holder will:
- Obtain up to date office copy entries and title plans from the Land Registry.
- Review title registers; copies of documents referred to in each register should be ordered & reviewed.
- Liaise with the Estates Division to establish other occupiers which are not registered at the Land Registry
- Develop an electronic register of the title documents and the various rights, reservations and interests in the University estate. Produce a plan of the estate which marks up the various interests
- Provide assistance to GCGC lawyers with other matters and projects as may be reasonably required
The successful candidate will have excellent research and legal skills, in particular a demonstrable aptitude and ability in land law. They will have excellent attention to detail and be able to plan and organise their work.
Applicants should be a graduate from an undergraduate or taught postgraduate law degree (single or joint honours), at the University of Sussex, or have completed the Graduate Diploma in Law.
This vacancy is part of the Sussex Graduate Programme, which offers work on campus with a professional services department. Develop your employability skills through genuine and meaningful work experience.
The University of Sussex values the diversity of its staff and students and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Please see the CareerHub for the job description and further details on how to apply. Please ensure you include the reference number of the advert on your application.