Health and Safety Administrator Ref: 6976
School/department: Office of the General Counsel, Governance and Compliance
Hours: full time or part time hours considered up to a maximum of 1.0 FTE / 36.5 hours. Requests for flexible working options will be considered (subject to business need).
Salary: starting at £26,341 to £30,497per annum, pro rata if part time
Placed on: 11 October 2021
Closing date: 27 October 2021. Applications must be received by midnight of the closing date.
Expected Interview date: To be confirmed
Expected start date: 01 December 2021
This vacancy is only open to those currently employed by the university.
The Health and Safety Team support the University of Sussex in delivering a safe working environment for over 2000 staff and 19000 students on the Falmer Campus (over 200 acres) and a range of off-site locations. The Health and Safety Team’s key purpose is to promote and improve the safety culture within key areas of the University.
This is a full time opportunity for a Health and Safety Administrator to support a team of 7 who provide health and safety services to the University. Services include providing advice and guidance, conducting investigations, producing reports, providing information on the Team’s website and arranging training.
The key roles of this post is to support the function of the Health and Safety Team.
Duties of this post will include.
- Updating and monitoring a range of databases including training records, document management and accident information.
- Providing reports of relevant data from the databases.
- Organise meetings, take minutes, and distribute meeting papers, organise meeting diaries.
- Organise multiple University Committees as Minuting Secretary.
- Maintain the health and safety web site to ensure it is up to date with the latest guidance and information.
- Provide information for specialist reports such as the University Annual Report, this includes tabular and graphical information.
- Organising training courses including room bookings, preparing training materials and direct support to trainers.
- Organise training with external trainers for specialist courses e.g. first aid.
- Provide support to investigations under the direction of health and safety advisors.
- Provide administrative support to the team with booking training, maintaining holiday spreadsheets, ordering equipment and services using the University procurement system.
- Monitoring the teams email inbox, triaging and prioritising queries.
- Answering telephone queries.
In addition to this a successful applicant will be expected to perform other tasks as called upon by the Head of Health and Safety, including some distinct project work in support of the core departmental goal of promoting a safe working culture.
The role offers great opportunity for an innovative individual to have a lasting impact working within the team of health and Safety professionals. Of key importance will be their ability to build supportive relationships with the full spectrum of staff, and having an ability to prioritise and respond to changing work demands.
Please contact Alistair Hardwick; A.Hardwick@sussex.ac.uk / 01273 872830 for informal enquiries.
The University of Sussex values the diversity of its staff and students and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
You can find out more about our values and our EDI Strategy, Inclusive Sussex, on our webpages.
Visa Sponsorship Queries:
This role may be eligible for sponsorship. If you require visa sponsorship from the University of Sussex to undertake this role please consult our Skilled Worker Visa information page for further information. If you want further advice on sponsorship eligibility please contact HRCompliance@sussex.ac.uk
How to apply
You must email your completed application, and personal details and equal opportunities form, to email@example.com
You should attach your application form and all documents to the email in PDF format (we are unable to accept applications as google.docs or .pages) and use the format job reference number / job title / your name in the subject line.
You can also send your application by post to Human Resources Division, Sussex House, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9RH.