Health and Safety Administrator Ref: 3431
School/department: Office of the General Counsel, Governance and Compliance
Hours: full time hours considered up to a maximum of 36.5 hours per week. Requests for flexible working options will be considered (subject to business need).
Salary: starting at £25,941 to £30,046 per annum, pro rata if part time
Placed on: 19 November 2020
Closing date: 04 December 2020. Applications must be received by midnight of the closing date.
Expected interview date: Week commencing 14 December 2020
Expected start date: TBC
This vacancy is only open to those currently employed by the University.
The Health and Safety Team support the University of Sussex in delivering a safe working environment for over 2000 staff and 19000 students on the Falmer Campus (over 200 acres) and a range of off-site locations. The Health and Safety Team’s key purpose is to promote and improve the safety culture within key areas of the University.
This is a full time opportunity for a Health and Safety Administrator to support a team of 7 who provide health and safety services to the University. Services include providing advice and guidance, conducting investigations, producing reports, providing information on the Team’s website and arranging training.
The key roles of this post is to support the function of the Health and Safety Team.
Duties of this post will include.
- Updating a range of databases including training records, document management and accident information.
- Providing reports of relevant data from the databases.
- Organising training courses including room bookings, preparing training materials and direct support to trainers.
- Organise training with external trainers for specialist courses e.g. first aid.
- Answer telephones and direct calls/take messages including the monitoring on the team email inbox.
- Manage answers to straight forward enquires to the team email inbox.
- Minuting Secretary to Committees.
- Organise meetings, take minutes, and distribute meeting papers, organise meeting diaries.
- Maintain the health and safety web site to ensure it is up to date with the latest guidance and information.
- Provide information for specialist reports such as the University Annual Report, this includes tabular and graphical information.
- Provide support to investigations under the direction of health and safety advisors.
- Provide administrative support to the team with booking training, maintaining holiday spreadsheets, ordering equipment and services using the University procurement system.
In addition to this a successful applicant will be expected to perform other tasks as called upon by the Head of Health and Safety, in support of the core departmental goal of promoting a safe working culture.
The role offers great opportunity for an innovative individual to have a lasting impact working within the team of health and Safety professionals. Of key importance will be their ability to build supportive relationships with the full spectrum of staff.
The University of Sussex values the diversity of its staff and students and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
All grades 1-5. Please note that the University of Sussex is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position, and thus any applicant should ensure that they have the legal right to work in the UK for the period of the post. The University of Sussex requires all successful applicants to provide proof of permission to work in the UK before they commence work. Should you therefore require further information, please visit the Home Office website.
How to apply
You must email your completed application, and personal details and equal opportunities form, to email@example.com
You should attach your application form and all documents to the email (don't use a web-based upload/weblink service) and use the format job reference number / job title / your name in the subject line.
You can also send your application by post to Human Resources Division, Sussex House, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9RH.