Director – Brighton and Sussex CTU Ref: 3181
School/department: Brighton and Sussex Medical School
Hours: full time. Requests for flexible working options will be considered (subject to business need)
Salary: starting at £51,034 to £59,135 per annum
Placed on: 25 February 2020
Closing date: 7 April 2020. Applications must be received by midnight of the closing date.
Applications are invited for the post of Director of the recently created Brighton and Sussex Clinical Trials Unit. The Unit is incorporated into the Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine at Brighton and Sussex Medical School (BSMS), and is supported by the University of Sussex and Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust (BSUHT). The post is part of the continuing academic development at BSMS and its partner organisations
- The post is offered at senior lecturer level, but an appointment at a higher grade might be considered for a suitably-qualified candidate.
- The post holder’s primary base will be the CTU, currently based at the University of Brighton site in Falmer.
- The successful applicant will have a strong background in clinical research focused on trial methodology, management and governance. Personal research experience at CI/PI level is essential, and we seek an individual with prior managerial experience within a Clinical Trials Unit.
- The Brighton and Sussex CTU was established 5 years ago, and supports a broad and developing portfolio of research projects. Provisional accreditation was granted two years ago and one of key roles of the appointee to this post will be to oversee the expansion of the unit’s portfolio of activities with a view to achieving full registration status by May 2021.
- The successful development of a fully-registered CTU is a major element in the developing research strategy of the School, and will complement the existing research infrastructure which includes newly-built laboratory accommodation, a fully-functional and well-staffed Clinical Research Facility, modern imaging sciences centre, the recently-formed JCRO, as well as SHORE-C, an international centre in psycho-oncology.
- The appointee will be expected to work with our partner Universities as well as Trusts within the region, particularly BSUHT and Sussex Partnership Trust (SPT), and to develop close working relationships with the Local Clinical Research Network (LCRN), Research Design Service (RDS), and regional Academic Health Science Network.
- The appointee would also be expected to develop and lead a personal programme of research focused on research methodology and trial design and contribute to the wider academic activities within BSMS.
For informal enquiries about this post please contact Prof Kevin Davies (medicineAnatomyDA@bsms.ac.uk) or Prof Malcolm Reed, BSMS Dean (email@example.com) at Brighton and Sussex Medical School by email or via telephone (01273 877890), or Ms Nicola Perry, CTU Operational Manager (N.firstname.lastname@example.org) at the CTU.
How to apply
Download our academic post application form [DOC 301.50KB] and personal details and equal opportunities form [DOC 162.50KB] and fill in all sections.
Email your completed application,CV, a suporting statement, and personal details and equal opportunities form, to email@example.com
You should attach your application form and all documents to the email (don't use a web-based upload/weblink service) and use the format job reference number / job title / your name in the subject line.
You can also send your application by post to Human Resources Division, Sussex House, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9RH.