Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Interdisciplinary Research)
INTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY
Closing date: 17 September 2018
Reporting to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research), the purpose of this role is to provide support to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research) in the delivery of the University’s research strategy. In particular, the DPVC will take operational responsibility for the Sussex Research funding mechanisms together with the processes for the creation and monitoring of research centres and programmes that operate in and between Schools.
The role holder will combine the Deputy Pro Vice-Chancellorship with an academic post, on a 50/50 basis, and be a member of the University Leadership Team (ULT).
Working with the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research), the key responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Advising on the development and implementation of research strategy to enhance the University’s performance in grant capture, research quality and impact of research as a member of the Research Management Group.
- Advising on the development of new mechanisms to support partnerships, innovation, business engagement and regional economic development.
- Developing and maintaining partnerships with key external partners in the co-production of research.
- Advising on strategic investments in research through Sussex Research and mechanisms for maintaining the sustainability of these.
- Advising on processes for meeting the requests of demand management for UKRI and other funders and taking an active role in these.
- Membership of the University Research and Knowledge Exchange Committee.
- Membership of the REF management panel.
- Deputising for PVC(R) when required.
Working closely with the Sussex Research professional services team to:
- Manage the process for the approval and three yearly review of research centres.
- Provide academic leadership in the implementation, panel chairing and continual evaluation and modification of the following funding schemes, and any new Sussex Current research funding initiatives:
- Research Development Fund
- Research Opportunities Fund
- Briggs Fellowships
- Kroto Fellowships
- Brighton-Sussex Collaborative Research Fund
- Annual Thematic Programme
- International Research partnerships and Networks Fund
- Helena Normanton Fellowships
- Review ongoing distribution of RM Phillips funding.
- Academic credibility with the experience and understanding to influence across disciplines.
- Sound knowledge of key issues, challenges and opportunities in the areas of research and knowledge exchange.
- A deep knowledge of external funding available for research from UKRI, EU, government departments, charities, professional bodies, business, philanthropic and private sources, demonstrated by a sustained personal portfolio of research funding appropriate to discipline.
- Able to demonstrate successful leadership.
- Strong diplomatic and negotiating skills.
- A high level of personal commitment, tenacity and focus.
- A strong commitment to the values of the University of Sussex and the wider inclusion and diversity agendas.
Period of appointment: The normal expectation will be for a Deputy Pro-Vice-Chancellor to undertake the duties for three years, with the possibility of an extension for up to a further two years. The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research) as line manager will appraise the DPVC (Interdisciplinary Research) annually for that part of their job and confirm continuation in the role on an annual basis.
Time allocation: This appointment will be on a 0.5 FTE basis in line with other DPVC roles and will be funded centrally.
Allowance: An allowance of £7,000 per annum.
Process of appointment: The appointment process will be via expressions of interest together with a CV detailing relevant experience and including details of publications and research grants. Please send to Emma at firstname.lastname@example.org. Suitably qualified applicants will be invited to attend an interview.
Potential candidates are welcome to arrange an informal conversation with Professor Michael C R Davies FRSE, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Research) and should contact Sacramenta Rodrigues at email@example.com or on Extn 6614 to arrange this.