Health and Wellbeing

Staying Well

Staying well will help you juggle your studies and your social, work or personal life. Keeping healthy can also improve your productivity, energy and mental wellbeing.

Infectious illness and vaccinations

Meningitis, Mumps, Measles and Rubella

You should get vaccinations for mumps, measles and rubella (MMR) and meningitis ACWY, if you haven’t already had them. They are available free if you are an NHS patient.

More NHS information on the Men ACWY vaccination.

More NHS information on the MMR vaccination.

In the UK, you would normally have had both the MMR and Meningitis C vaccinations as a baby. The Men ACWY vaccination is relatively new. If you're not sure whether you've had both the MMR and the Men ACWY vaccinations, check with your parents or guardians and then with your current GP. If you can’t do this then go to the health centre or see your GP for advice, as they may recommend you get them done anyway.

You might also consider paying privately to be vaccinated against Meningitis B – find out about a private Meningitis B vaccination. The Men B vaccination is available from both Superdrug and Boots.

Flu (Influenza)

You can also get the annual flu (Influenza) vaccine; this is free for some people or you can pay to have it privately for around £10 - find out more about the flu vaccine.

The flu jab is available from many GP surgeries and pharmacies, including the University Pharmacy on campus.


We strongly encourage all students to take part in the vaccination programme against Covid-19, in line with government guidance.

Find out more about vaccinations for Covid-19

Finding a dentist

We have a dentist on campus or you can find other local dental practices. Find out more on the Student Hub.

Register with a doctor

Find out how to register with a doctor – do not wait to become unwell as this could cause a delay in getting medical help when you need it.

Your pharmacist

Your local pharmacist is a qualified expert who can advise you on how to treat common minor illnesses, give advice on medicines, and help you decide whether or not you need to see your GP.

Many pharmacies also provide other services such as emergency contraception.

Find out about the pharmacy on campus in the health centre complex.

Use the NHS Choices service finder to find a pharmacy close to your home.

Information for international students

Find out about your healthcare options if you're coming to Sussex from outside the UK.

First-year international students under 25 years are entitlled to the Men ACWY vaccination on the NHS. Register with our health centre on campus for this.

Getting advice on your symptoms

If you feel unwell and would like instant advice, call the NHS on their non-emergency number 111.

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

Find out more on the NHS 111 website.

Walk-in services

  • Brighton Station Health Centre is a  flexible NHS doctor’s surgery that provides services to the community of Brighton and Hove. The health centre is near Brighton Station in Queen’s Road and is open from 8am to 8pm every day including bank holidays. This can be useful if you need treatment or medical evidence in the event you're not registered with a GP in Brighton. Call 0333 321 0946.
  • Lewes Victoria Hospital runs a minor injury unit which serves people who live in Ditchling, East Sussex, Lewes, Newhaven, Peacehaven, Ringmer and Saltdean. The hospital is located on Nevill Road in Lewes (BN7 1PE). The unit is open from 8am to 8pm every day, and X-ray is available from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. The unit provides advice in person or by telephone, and its walk-in clinic can treat cuts, sprains and other less serious injuries such as eye infections. Call 01273 474153 or 01273 402504.

In an emergency

If you think you have a serious illness or have had a serious accident you should:

  • get instant medical advice or help from your doctor, or

If you cannot do this then get someone to either take you immediately to your nearest Accident & Emergency department.

Calling an ambulance

If you are on campus, ring 3333 so Security can guide the ambulance to you.

If you are not on campus, call 999.


Get to know your flatmates – you can support each other if you get ill.

Look after yourself – getting run down makes you vulnerable to illness.

Information about vaccinations and more on the Student Hub.