Health and Wellbeing

Have you experienced a hate crime?

Hate incidents and hate crime are acts of violence or hostility against a person or property that is motivated by hostility or prejudice towards a person due to a particular characteristic. This could be a disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender identity or an alternative sub-culture hate crime. A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone could be a victim of a hate crime.

Are you in immediate danger?

If you're on campus

If you need emergency help, call Security on 01273 87 3333 or dial 3333 from a bedroom phone. There are also emergency phones located around campus which put you straight through to Security. The Security Office is located in York House.

  • Security are first-aid trained
  • Security will call 999 for you and coordinate guiding emergency services (such as ambulance) to your address on campus
  • Security can contact on-call Residential Community Coordinator and/or Residential Support Manager on your behalf
  • If you would prefer to speak to a member of staff of a specific gender, please let Security know

If you're off campus

First, please call Emergency Services directly on 999 and report the issue(s).

If you live in university managed accommodation - follow up by contacting Security on 01273 87 3333 so that they know that there is an emergency Off-Campus. Security is a 24/7 service who will be able to advise you over the phone and coordinate further response, however please note that this team cannot leave campus.

If you live in private accommodation - If you need additional support contact JAM, the out-of-hours call-back service, on (+44) (0)2089  383873. JAM will give guidance over-the phone and will also contact the Residential Community Coordinator (RCC) on duty who will return your call within the hour. The RCC will offer over-the-phone welfare support and advice, along with signposting for additional available support.

Non-emergency help


If you would like to report a crime which is no longer an emergency you can either call 101 or visit/telephone your local police station

Self-evident app

The Self Evident App is a convenient and effective way for people across England & Wales to engage with the police for free. The free app makes it easy for you to:

  • file a crime report with the police from your smartphone
  • send the police photo and video evidence,
  • record a reliable statement,
  • keep a secure record of your report and evidence, and
  • validate the evidence you have captured.

Student Life Centre

You can discuss the incident further with an advisor from the Student Life Centre

Has a member of the University community carried out this hate crime?

If a member of the University community has carried out this hate crime you can report it to Disciplinary, or discuss the incident further with an advisor from the Student Life Centre or a member of the Campus and Residential Support team.