Prof Jim Watson
|Post:||Professor of Energy Policy (The Sussex Energy Group, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research)|
|Location:||Jubilee Building Jub-330|
|Internal:||3539 or 8166|
|UK:||01273 873539 or 01273 678166|
|International:||+44 1273 873539 or +44 1273 678166|
|download vCarddownload vCard to your mobile|
My other roles include:
- Member of the Academy of Science of South Africa panel on green technologies
- Member of DECC and Defra's social science expert panel
- Trustee of the Chesshire Lehmann Fund, a fuel poverty charity set up in the names of John Chesshire and Peter Lehmann
- Council Member of the British Institute for Energy Economics
- Member of Carbon Connect's Future Electricity Series steering group
- Member of the Low Carbon Research Institute Steering Committee and the WholeSEM energy modelling consortium Advisory Board
I have been a specialist adviser to the House of Commons Energy and Climate Change Committee for its inquiry into The UK's Energy Supply: Security or Independence? (Apr-Oct 2011); and the House of Commons Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee for its inquiries on the Draft Climate Change Bill, Climate Change: The Citizen's Agenda and Energy Efficiency and Fuel Poverty (Mar 2006 to Jun 2009).
In have also been Chair of the British Institute for Energy Economics in 2011; a member of the Nuffield Council on Bioethics working party on new approaches to biofuels (Sep 2009 to Apr 2011); a Lead Expert with the UK government Foresight project on Sustainable Energy Management and the Built Environment (2007-2009); and a member of the IPPR New Era Economics panel (2010-12).
From June to August 2008, I was a Visiting Scholar with the Energy Technology Innovation Policy group at the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University.
I have been at SPRU since 1993, initially as a DPhil research student and since 1997 as a member of staff. My first degree in Electrical Engineering is from Imperial College London. The degree was linked to an engineering apprenticeship with the Rover Group from 1988 to 1992.