Our programme of activities for First-Generation Scholars
- Welcome talk in assembly from a current University of Sussex student.
- Cohort workshop in school with hands-on activities for pupils to find out more about higher education.
- Visit to the University of Sussex to see our campus near Brighton first-hand, meet current students and ask questions.
Year 10 and 11
- 'Making Informed Choices' talk in school to get students thinking about their GCSEs and future goals.
- 'Making the Most of University' talk in school or college to find out more from a current university student.
- Optional talks on the UCAS system, employability and student finance.
The opportunity to come on one of our residential Summer Schools, longer programmes focusing on the subject that your son or daughter is interested in, tutoring and mentoring support in some schools and taster days on campus.
Our partner schools and colleges can choose to take part in extra events and activities on campus, such as our Shakespeare Day or Physics lab days. Teachers will send out full information to you as they would with any school trip.
All events are free of charge and mostly held on the University of Sussex campus, although some will be elsewhere: we have taken aspiring Year 12 lawyers to the Inns of Court in London and travelled to Warwick University for a student conference.
Keeping in touch
We will send First-Generation Scholars information by post and email throughout their time on the scheme. We welcome questions from students and parents, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.