You need never be bored at Sussex. As well as the variety of activities and sports facilities offered in Brighton, there is a wide range of on-campus opportunities to fill your spare time.
well-rounded sports programme
largest dance and movement programme in the South East
extensive sports facilities
wide range of Students’ Union sports clubs and teams
Sport and fitness at Sussex
The University’s Sussexsport works closely with the Students’ Union to provide a well-rounded sports programme. Getting involved in sport is a good way to try out new things, improve your skills and make new friends while you are doing it. Subsidised rates are offered for all students.
Sussexsport also offers one of the largest dance and movement programmes in the South East of England, with over 30 classes a week in activities such as yoga, salsa, sports conditioning, boxercise, circuit training, swing, ballet and capoeira.
In addition, we offer coaching in racquet sports and run intramural competitions, including football. Large inter-area sports nights are popular Christmas and summer events.
Sports facilities on campus include:
- two large, multi-purpose sports halls
- two recently refurbished state-of-the-art fitness rooms and a dedicated strength and conditioning room
- a dance studio
- six squash courts, four with glass backs
- four grass soccer pitches, a rugby pitch, both grass and artificial cricket pitches, and tennis courts
- a floodlit sand-dressed artificial turf pitch (hockey and football)
- a therapy room offering a sports-injury clinic, sports massage, relaxation massage, reiki, reflexology and hot stone massage.
Student sports clubs
If you take your sport seriously, you may want to join one or more of the specialist clubs organised through the Students’ Union. Sports teams are among the largest and some of the most active student groups on campus – there is a combination of 40 different teams and sports clubs. Most clubs provide coaching and instruction and take part in British Universities Sports Association (BUSA) competitions as well as local Sussex leagues. Our basketball, football, squash and Ultimate Frisbee teams have all achieved success in recent years. Visit the Union sports website for a comprehensive list of sports clubs and teams.