The Erasmus programme provides a travel and subsistence grant to support staff teaching and training visits in Europe.
Am I eligible?
If you have a contract of employment with the University of Sussex, yes!
Where can I go?
The Erasmus programme covers the following countries; most Higher Education Institutions in Europe participate in the Erasmus programme.
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey.
Members of staff often have a destination in mind; an institution that they have collaborated with in the past, a shared research interest or simply a contact. Where this is not the case, we may be able to arrange a visit to one of our existing Partner Institutions in Europe or Turkey or, following initial contact by the member of staff, set up an agreement with a new institution.
In return, staff should be prepared to host a visiting member of staff wishing to carry out a staff mobility visit to Sussex.
Why should I go?
- Give yourself the opportunity to teach or train elsewhere in Europe
- Generate new ideas and best practice
- Funding available for professional development
More reasons, information and case studies available on the British Council website.
What are the requirements?
- The institution that you visit must hold an Erasmus University Charter - EUC - list of institutions [PDF 2.75MB]
- Sussex needs to have – or set up - an Inter-institutional Agreement with the institution
- The duration of the visit should be between 5 days and 6 weeks
- The necessary paperwork must be completed before your visit, and the online report submitted on return.
What are the selection criteria?
Selection is based on a short ‘teaching or training programme’ submitted by the member of staff which has been endorsed by both the sending and host institution.
Priority will be given to:
- Department Representatives (Academic contact in each Department supporting Sussex students studying abroad)
- Members of staff who have not yet benefitted from the programme
How much is the grant?
Mobility grants for staff are provided as a contribution towards subsistence and travel and are calculated on the basis of receipted expenditure. Members of staff cover the visit from their own funds and then submit a claim for reimbursement.
- The maximum travel grant is €500.
- Maximum subsistence rates vary depending on the country you plan to visit; the daily rate ranges from €83 (Bulgaria) to €195 (Switzerland) for visits of up to one week.
How do I apply?
If you know where you would like to go:
Explore the options with your contact/s in the host institution and return the application form to the ISAO: E firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not have a specific destination in mind:
Please contact the ISAO: E email@example.com
Applications for staff visits in the 2012/13 should be returned to the ISAO by 15 November 2012
Additional grants are available for staff with special needs wishing to participate in Erasmus and where participation would not be possible without extra financial support. The allowances are offered in cases where severe special needs lead to mobility costs which exceed the maximum grant allocations allowed and which cannot be recovered from other sources.
Members of staff wishing to apply for a special needs allowance should do so via the ISAO before the start of the mobility.
For more information on opportunities for Staff, please contact Emily Sinclair:
International & Study Abroad Office
T 01273 877040