Engineering and design
Module code: 825H1
Level 7 (Masters)
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Lecture, Laboratory
Assessment modes: Coursework, Unseen examination
In this module, you learn:
- concepts of computer networks, Internet and its evolution to Internet-of-Things (IoT)
- communication networks architecture, key elements, layering structure and performance evaluations
- web application architecture and protocols, the emerging IoT application protocol and design
- quality-of-services (QoS) data transmission, flow control, congestion control in transport layer, and their applications in IoT
- network routing algorithms and protocols, new routing protocols for resource constrained IoT
- wire and wireless communication standard and protocols, including IEEE 802.15 and 802.11 based new radio technology in IoT applications.
Module learning outcomes
- Describe the principles of design and development of Computer networks.
- Discuss the key concepts and advanced networking technology of Internet of Things.
- Evaluate quality of services (QoS) of communication networks in terms of throughput, reliability and delay.
- Develop and analyse network protocols by using networking simulation tool, e.g., OMNeT++ and WireShark.