Engineering and design
Programming for Engineers
Module code: H1038
15 credits in autumn teaching
Teaching method: Laboratory, Practical
Assessment modes: Coursework
This module introduces you to the following topics:
- compiling and linking
- constants, variables, data types and conversion
- operators and expressions
- program structure and pseudocode
- selection and repetitive statements
- characters and strings
- data structures
- file input/output
- well-designed programs and testing (software engineering)
- introduction to programming paradigms
- C and MATLAB (procedural)
- MATLAB - Simulink
- LabVIEW (graphical programming)
- concept of object-orientated programming (C++, Java).
Module learning outcomes
- Gain a working knowledge of the fundamental principles of structured programming and algorithm concepts.
- Gain a working knowledge and understanding writing and debugging programs within an IDE.
- Ability to demonstrate a pseudo-code implementation to an algorithm or programming problem and develop this into specific code for compilation.