Engineering and design
Engineering Maths 1A
Module code: H1033
15 credits in autumn teaching
Teaching method: Class, Lecture
Assessment modes: Unseen examination, Coursework
The module will be taught using the Helping Engineers Learn Mathematics (HELM) resource.
Thorough revision of A-Level Maths topics, particularly:
- differential calculus
- integral calculus
- algebraic manipulation of functions
- matrix algebra including determinants
- Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors.
Then new material:
- complex numbers
- further differentiation
- partial differentiation
- curves and functions.
Module learning outcomes
- Have a good capability to manipulate complicated algebraic expressions
- Perform differential and integral calculus on a single variable
- Manipulate complex numbers and have an appreciation of their applications in engineering analysis
- Perform differential and integral calculus on more than one variable and have an appreciation of its applications in engineering analysis